Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thundarr the Barbarian-Kicks ASS!

The year 1994: From out of space comes a runaway planet, hurtling between the Earth and the Moon, unleashing cosmic destruction. Man's civilization is cast in ruin. Two thousand years later, Earth is reborn... A strange new world rises from the old: a world of savagery, super science, and sorcery. But one man bursts his bonds to fight for justice! With his companions Ookla the Mok and Princess Ariel, he pits his strength, his courage, and his fabulous Sunsword against the forces of evil.

He is Thundarr, the Barbarian!

FUCK YA!!!

Thundarr without a doubt needs to be given the comic book treatment, but only by the right people. My money would be on Geoff Johns as the writer and Alex Ross as the artist. It should be a limited series and a self contained story.

Fun Fact (clipped from Wikipedia): Comic book writer-artist Jack Kirby worked on the production design for the show. While many people believe that Kirby was the primary designer of the show (mainly due to his similarly themed Kamandi: The Last Boy On Earth), the main characters were in fact designed by fellow comic book writer-artist Alex Toth, who also designed the popular character Space Ghost for Saturday morning television.

Toth, however, was unavailable to continue working on the show, so most of the wizards and other villains and secondary characters that appear on the show were designed by Kirby. He was brought onto the show at the recommendation of comic writer Steve Gerber and comics and animation veteran Mark Evanier, who realized that the same imagination that produced Kamandi could contribute significantly to the series. Indeed, the evil wizard Gemini, the only repeating villain on the show, resembles Darkseid, an infamous Kirby villain.
Coloring Book: Thundarr the Barbarian in the Floating Palace.
This was the only printed type of book produced for Thundarr.

4 comments:

Matt Horak said...

Holy shit! I am working on a comics adaptation of the Thundarr episode "Wizard War" and am posting pages (slowly) on my blog, matthewhorak.blogspot.com. When I started the project I looked all over for some of the Kirby production art. Where did you find these images?

The Dork said...

Sorry about the late reply been a couple of crazy months. I found these Kirby drawings/painting in an old magazine I had, but can't remember what it was called, sorry:(. Long ago I scanned them and saved them on a disk.

Alprazolam said...

I just recently set up my very first article site. y new site is in I wanted to look at other blogs to get ideas on how to make my blog awesome and I got a lot of great ideas off of your blog.thanks for the great ideas,I hope you don�t mind? I want to include some of your article on my site and of course I will link back to your site.Thank You.

The Dork said...

Alprazolam, thanks for the kind words!